Monday, April 4, 2011

ME…A New Me (kindof)

Have you ever felt the need to reinvent yourself?  Just start from scratch?  Not that you would be completely different than you are right now,  maybe just tweaked a little here and there.  Softened around the edges.

I have. 

Maybe you feel like you got lost somewhere along the way and you are wondering WHY you do the things you do each and every day. 

I have had those feelings.

I am sure you noticed my blogging absence lately.  I have been doing a lot of  reinventing.  A lot of quiet time trying to get to the bottom of things.  Things like how I spend my time each day. Why I insist on rushing around all day long.  The things that are keeping me busy… are they important…to me, to my family, to Heavenly Father?  What REALLY makes ME happy?  What makes me tick?  Do you ask yourself those kind of questions? 

I try not to honestly.  Sometimes they can be scary to come clean about.  But sometimes it’s just necessary. 

After I really gave myself time to think about it, I realized I was too busy to be truly happy.  The kind of happy that you feel deep down.  Not just surface happy.  I was surface happy, but I was also exhausted all the time and sleep deprived, like most moms.  And honestly, I was sick of feeling that way!  I needed to slow down.  But how?  As I thought about this… what needed to change, why my life feels so out of control, what is a better way for me to manage my day, I kept thinking about how life was before we moved to Texas, when we used to live in Utah.  For some reason those days felt simpler to me.  I didn’t feel like I was getting pulled in every direction possible.  I remember barely checking my e-mail.  I was hardly ever on the computer.  How would that be now, when your computer and your cell phone is the main source of communication?  Technology has come a long way and can be a blessing in our lives, but was I using it wisely?

What I was craving were quiet afternoons while kids were napping or having quiet time themselves so I could sit and read a book.  Going to bed at a decent time so I could wake up feeling refreshed because, guess what? I didn’t stay up until 1:30 in the morning finishing up projects, lists, posts, cleaning and whatever else I thought was more important than sleep. I decided it was time for me to make new priorities and take the simpler route.   No more excessive time on the computer. I started going to bed early and getting up early, exercising, reading (I read the Hunger Games Series…AWESOME! ) I started being more dedicated to spiritual things like reading my scriptures and saying my prayers regularly.  I was able to cook more often and stay on top of my chores.  I was enjoying this new laid back pace where I didn’t give myself deadlines and squeeze in a million extra things. 

But something was still missing.

I was missing. 

ME

The person I always knew and the person I  had become.

I had taken away everything I loved to do. The creative side of me anyway.  Which helps define who I am.  Blogging, photography, creating around my house and scrapbooking are all important to me.  That is part of what makes me tick and what makes me happy.  I decided my routine needed to change so that I could squeeze ME back into the equation.  And guess what? It is working!  I still don’t have all the time I would like to have, but a little bit of creative time is so much better than nothing at all.       

I HAVE LEARNED moderation in all things is key.  I personally need a little bit from every category.  Sleep, reading, exercise, creative time, time with family and friends, responsibilities and spiritual growth. 

I HAVE LEARNED that reading the scriptures every day and personal prayer really do help.  Early to bed and early to rise is the smartest thing ever!  These two things go hand in hand.  No wonder I have been taught this from my parents and church leaders since I was little.  Just because I am a grown up doesn’t mean I shouldn’t listen. :)

I HAVE LEARNED not to ignore myself.  Each of us are different and need different things to keep our blood pumping.  Now I know what mine is.  Have you thought about what yours is?

I HAVE LEARNED that I am a better mother and wife when I take time for myself and when my life doesn’t involve having to be responsible all the time.

I HAVE LEARNED that routines are always changing and that is ok. 

I HAVE LEARNED that listening to our inner voice is the way we gain strength and peace. 

So much learned, but so much more TO LEARN.

While I was at it, I decided to reinvent my blog.  Do you like it?  It had gotten lost somewhere along the way too.  I am rededicating myself to my blog…because I want to.  Because journaling about my thoughts and my family and our home make me happy.

Here is a photo for you that makes me happy and want to be a better me.

Me and Ady Blog

I have been updating my 365 Blog.  Feel free to check it out!

10 comments:

Brandi said...

I soooo needed this blog post! I too feel the exact same way as you. Wow, thanks for sharing!!!!

Lindsey Jensen said...

I love this! I feel the same way, I feel like I'm needing to find myself again. With moving and having a child, quiting my job and finding new hobbies I feel like a year and a half later I'm still looking for something in my life. You have helped me see something that I have had in the back of my mind for a while!! Thanks for sharing Krys. Great post!!

Beth Curtis said...

great post! I think that is what I have been feeling. Especially these past few months of chaos I have been really cranky. Once again you have amazed me.
p.s. I am glad you read the Hunger Games. I love that series. Look out for the movies coming 2012!

Letti said...

I need to take your advice and use it in my own life. For me its not so much computer stuff but outside things like being on the soccer board, being in charge of certification at girls camp, PTA, etc. I think I need to reevaluate as well. Thanks for sharing this post.

KW said...

I think we all feel this way sometimes and I have been trying to figure out my balance lately...still working on, but it's great to hear your thoughts on it.

Jessica said...

I'm not sure how I came across your blog some time ago, but I LOVE this post! It resonated with me in so many ways...
Yay for me time and for BALANCE!
{Love that sweet pic, too!}

Kristy said...

Krysta,
First of all, LOVE the new look of the blog....so fresh and inviting!! Also, love that sweet photo (that one needs to be blown up big and put in your house somewhere!!).
You and I always seem to be on the same page and going through the same things at the same time....kindred spirits I guess :-)
I am so glad you are re-dedicating yourself to your blog and to the things that make YOU happy. I love reading your blog.....it is authentic and creative and inspiring....just like you!!

Kari said...

Amen Sister! There's one thing you forgot though. I will text it to you. See you in 2 days! Cameron hasn't been able to sleep he's so excited!

Andrea said...

Beautifully said. I really needed to hear this today. Thank you for sharing your ideas. They are realy helping me today. I really needed to hear this. You are the best.

Prudently Painted Vintage said...

It's so hard to balance things isn't it? I feel like if I try to be creative a lot (which I love), other areas of my life suffer. I too am trying to find balance right now. I was doing so many projects, I totally neglected my love of running too. Being balanced is something I think we all strive for. Great post :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails