Friday, June 27, 2008

{ A Simple Pleasure }...

Earlier this week, the kids and I made homemade playdough together. I have to admit that I have never made playdough before! I have had the recipe for YEARS, but have never made the attempt. We had so much fun doing this! It was sooooooo easy, hardly any mess (my kind of thing) and the kids were completely hands on and involved with the whole process. I loved watching their little faces, full of amazement at the idea of mixing up all these ingredients and seeing it come to life, with color! I didn't get any pictures of us making it, but here they are enjoying it afterwards. It has been a source of hours of entertainment every day since. They each chose their own color and added the food coloring by themselves. They have a sence of pride now for their little bundles of playdough. Kaylee - pink, Jake - green and Drew - blue.

This was especially fun and a good memory because this particular day turned out to be not so fun. Making playdough was our only source of fun that day. You know how things just go bad and it seems like you just can't recover? Well that was the rest of our day. We tried to head out to the pool and the kids locked my keys in the van along with ALL of our pool stuff. Luckily I had my cell phone and Casey came home from work to rescue us. When we finally made it to the pool, we got rained out! That's the thing with Texas weather...it changes COMPLETELY with out any warning, especially these days, as far as rain goes, because it's hurricane season. Our day just went downhill from there with one thing after the other. It turned out to be an unproductive day and I was grumpy. But then I would see them playing with their playdough and I would remember how much fun we had that morning and it would make me happy (until the next thing would happen). I was glad that we had taken advantage of that moment to spend time together and enjoy what we were doing.

10 comments:

JW said...

I hate that. It is the worst, I am glad you could find the good in it. The playdough looks really fun. I am glad they are having fun with it. I did a playdoush experiment with my kids today. Teach them about primary colors, and have them mix a peice of red(pink) with yellow, and see what color it makes. Then blue with red, and yellow with blue. Then we placed them on a piece of paper smashed down to make a color wheel. It really helped them figure that primary color thing out. Play dough it the best.

I am sorry you had a crummy day, atleast the play dough was good. You are such a good mom.

Andrea said...

That comment for J-Dubb was actually me(Andrea) I was making a header for Kristin's boyfriend, and I forgot to sign out before I posted on yours. SORRY! I am so dumb..

Erica said...

Believe it or not,I have actually made play-doh many times. Don't you remember when we were in nursery FOREVER!! I had to have something cheap to entertain the kids and that stuff works. Looks like alot of fun. Hope I get to see you when you are here. The girls would love to see Kaylee too if you have time.

Stephanie said...

Sorry it was crummy day. Those are hard. Thank goodness for that one bright spot. You are a good mom!

Emily Hansen said...

Fun project; what a nice mom! We need to do more of those kinds of things around here. I always think of the mess and put the idea aside. We'll have to get your unmessy method of making playdough. Sorry about your bad day. I think we all have to have those sometimes so we don't take the good days for granted.

Beeks by the Lake said...

it must be in the air! Haeley keeps saying she is so bored. maybe it's time to break out the pay dough again! Did you know you can go to the play doh site and download instructions for all sorts of different design ideas? Coleton loved the car one and Haeley loved the star fish. cute stuff - you're a great mom! you work to remember the good stuff and not let the bad take over. That's not an easy task!

Lindsey Jensen said...

That sounds like fun! Did the kids try to eat any of it? I remember when I used to make play dough as a kid and I used to love the taste of it! I know, thats way gross now but it sure wasn't back then!! I LOVE Drew's smile in that last picture....PRICELESS he looks so happy, you know he was loving every minute of it! Guess what, we are down to 6 days... I am so excited. I hope you have a blast with Mom & Dad this weekend!

Beth Curtis said...

How fun! You are awesome to see the good in days that turn bad. I am so excited for you and your vacations.

The DeVito's said...

Hi Krysta-
It's Holly, Stephanie's sister, your family is darling! You sound like a great mom!

Unknown said...

So cute! Your kids are so beautiful and you're a sweet mom!

Related Posts with Thumbnails