Monday, March 3, 2008

Lessons Learned

We have been teaching the kids about earning money for the past couple of months. They earn quarters for all sorts of things and have little piggy banks they put their earnings in. They have earned quite a bit, so we decided to go shopping. They had a gift cerfiticate to Target from Valentines Day that they added to their own money, so we headed to our favorite store. We didn't have time before we left to empty out everyone's piggy banks and count what they had, but we had a general idea of how much they each had. They picked out what they wanted and we payed for it. After counting Kaylee's money we learned that she was short a dollar. I didn't think twice about it, but Casey really wanted to teach her that if you don't have money for something at the time, you don't buy it. So we drove back to Target so Kaylee could take back her new Barbie kitchen set and get it next week when she earned some more quarters. All of this is registering in Jake's mind and he says "So Kaylee can keep that if she has one more dollar?" we said "Yes". He says, "Well can I give her one of my dollars? I don't need to buy a soda. I'll get one next time." Casey and I looked at eachother, our hearts completely melted!!!! Kaylee was so happy and decided that she would give Jake her car she built at Home Depot that afternoon with her dad. Of course Jake was happy about that! We all learned a lesson on sharing and sacrificing because we love each member of our family. I hope to see these kind of things happen more often!! :)

6 comments:

Beeks by the Lake said...

thank you for sharing that sweet story!

Andrea said...

What a beautiful story. YOu are teaching your children wonderful lessons. I love that Jake was sensitive enough to see Kaylee's need. What a good Boy!!

Beth Curtis said...

Oh I love him! That is the sweetest thing I have heard.

Lindsey Jensen said...

That is so cute. He is seriously a little Brandon! I love it! That is so good they can learn these things young!

Stephanie said...

These are the things that make all the hard work worth it!

Letti said...

What a sweet brother. I need to do something like that with my kids.

Related Posts with Thumbnails