Friday, September 12, 2008

{ Hunkering Down }...

We are in the midst of preparing for hurricane Ike. Actually, we are completely prepared. Now we are just using the advice from our political leaders here in Houston to "hunker down".


Note: this post is not intended to make anyone worry about us or freak out our family and friends anymore than they already are. This is a way for me to relieve a little bit of stress and record this happening in our lives.


We have decided to stay, obviously, that's why we are "hunkering down", but that was a hard decision to make. We aren't in a mandatory evacuation area. Our political officials have told us to stay put if we aren't in the evacuation areas. They know much more about the situation than we do, so I will listen to them. Plus our bishopric is all staying put. In fact, I went to visit a family in our ward last night and they had a family staying with them for the weekend from one of the mandatory evacuation areas. That made me feel much better, that people were evacuating to our part of the Houston area. My husband is not freaking out at all, only me. I can't help but worry and wonder "what if" constantly. I spent my ENTIRE day yesterday pacing around my house getting absolutely nothing done. We have prepared all that we can. When I was at Y/W the other night I sent Casey on a "honey do" that consisted of filling the cars up with gas and a last minute Walmart run. This trip was insane he said. Everyone panicking. I didn't need anything major at the store just the normal weekly items, bread, milk, fresh fruit and of course my Coke. I have to have something to calm my nerves, especially now! He said there was nothing left on the shelves. No bread, no canned goods, toilet paper...you name it - gone. It made me so grateful that I have listened to the council from church authorities to be prepared. We have our supply of food, water, candles, matches, toilet paper, batteries, flashlights...the list goes on and on. I did have to run to the bank to get some extra cash. I'm always bad at carrying cash, but we have what we need now. Casey worked in the yard last night putting away our trampoline, BBQ and lawn furniture. I'm a little mad that our neighbor behind us hasn't put away their things. I'm working on having Casey go ask very nicely if he can help him put their things in the garage. He says I'm overreacting, but I don't want anything flying into my windows. I don't think that's too much to ask!!! We'll see what happens with this debate. It might be me, the mother hen, marching over to politely offer my husband's help. :)

This morning consisted of me sleeping in until 9:00 because I had to take a sleeping pill last night. It knocked me out - relief to my husband and myself! Casey has been very good with trying to keep the day normal. I'm really trying! School was canceled for the kids and work for Casey. I would have had them all stay home anyway. He took the kids to the park this morning to get some energy out before we are confined to our house, maybe even a closet in our house. He went out with Kaylee to try and take advantage of a little bit of the wind and fly a kite. It was really cute. I took a picture, but I'm not in the picturey mood, so I'll post it later. I on the other hand, kept myself busy making beds, cleaning the kitchen and vacuming the house. Can you believe I VACUMED??? Like I said, I'm trying to keep things normal. This is my obnoxious way of calming my nerves and keeping myself busy.

We are expecting to have a power outage for a couple of days. If that's the worst, than I can definately deal with that. Anyway, I really feel like things are going to be just fine. We are at the point where we have made the decision to stay, we have prepared ourselves, so now we just have to be faithful. Anyway, I will keep everyone posted. Hopefully my next post will be a VERY boring post!!! :) Just remember that we live an hour north of where it's really hitting. So no reason to worry. Thank you to all of our family and freinds who have called to check on us. Don't let the news on T.V. scare you! Remember: it's their job to make news! Love you all!

I changed my mind about the picture. Here's one to lighten the mood! :)

Anyone want to fly a kite??? I think I'm going to start reading the Twilight series today. That'll keep me busy!

15 comments:

thejohnmfamily said...

Isn't it weird that a week ago today we went out to dinner and shopping? This week has flown by. I would much rather be doing that again.

Since you are actually so nervous that you are vacuuming, then you should definitely come to my house to do my carpets too. I should be doing more cleaning and less internet time, but that's ok. I'll have plenty of time to pick up once the power is out.

The DeVito's said...

I'll be thinking about you guys! Good luck!

Stephanie said...

I'm so glad you updated! I've been wondering but I didn't want to call and bug you, in case you were preoccupied. We will be praying for you and all of the area. Hang in there, read and pull out those game boards. Love ya!

Alesa Larsen said...

Good luck, I am glad you posted I have been thinking about you all day. Hope to read a nice boring post soon;).

Lindsey Jensen said...

We love you guys! Everything will be just fine, Heavenly Father is watching over you guys! Keep us posted!

Tonya said...

I was wondering last night how close it was going to get to where you are. You will be in our prayers as well, write again soon! Love ya!

Stephanie said...

Love you and am thinking of your guys!!! I'll be looking forward to your next post.

angie said...

We will be praying for your family that everything will go smoothly. That is awesome that you are totaly prepared with your supply. Good Luck!

Andrea said...

I am so grateful that you are prepared. I know that you will be fine. You are reminding me of a few things that I should go and get before we have all the rain again. Keep me posted, and I will try and call you tomorrow.

The Johnson's said...

We are thinking about you--my parents lived in Houston for 15 years and know all too well what you are going through (they flooded four times). I'm glad you live where you do, the southern part gets it all the time. Enjoy the family time at home--being prepared will be a blessing!

Emily Hansen said...

We'll try not to bug you too much more. You know that our thoughts and prayers are with you. I hope you are able to post tomorrow and tell us that everything is fine. We love you guys! You know how you said you are pacing, like Deron. He's pacing for you too, in fact, he just tried to call Casey again after watching the news to tell him to reconsider the evacuation! Be careful!

Beth Curtis said...

I have to be honest I am nervous. This evening it is all I can think about! I kept telling Brandon " I bet she is so grateful she has awesome food storage and supplies." keep us updated!!

Curtis Family said...

I stayed up with you guys throughout the Ike night last night. Except was in Gilbert,AZ watching it on FOX,CNN and MSNBC and you were hunkered down in the real deal. Just wanted you to know our thoughts and prayers are with you and your community.

Having Casey go over and offer to help the neighbor reminded me of a story about some friends of ours. A new neighbor moved in and started to re-paint the outside of their house a "horrible color". So our friend went over and said to her new neighbor that she had some extra paint from when they painted their house and they were welcome to the rest of it, and that it was enough to do the entire job. The neighbor said 'yes, they'd love the paint', so our friend went out and bought all the paint to paint their house (she was fibbing that she had any, she was just deperate to keep an ugly flashy color from going up next door). Once she bought it she even set up the ladders and did the job herself. I wish they'd move next to us!

Tonight I am taking your mom and dad and Brandon to the Diamondbacks game. After the game, Jessica Simpson is supposed to perform. I'd rather hear Bart Simpson.

Let us know what you would do different and what you realied on and wish you'd had more of so we can be more prepared as well. Keep dry. Jay

Malinda said...

Good Luck! Hope you don't get too much of the storm. Enjoy your family the next couple of days and keep them all calm.

Jennifer said...

OOOOH!! I just read Twilight again. What part are you at? I hope you really meant it about reading it!

I'm glad you posted this by the way. Looking at that picture of Casey and Kaylee getting ready to fly kites just made me realize that you're gonna be just fine! wink!

Related Posts with Thumbnails