Monday, October 6, 2008

{ Remembering When }...

This past week was a great week. Probably because I was actually able to spend time with my husband! They are trying something new at his work, where they give each person a week off, but then they are on call at night and on the weekend. It was his week to have off. I was so excited about this when he first told me several months ago, but towards the end of last weekend I wasn't so excited anymore and neither was he. We were picking on each other and getting into marital disputes one after the other. I think we were both dreading what the week might turn out like. I wasn't looking forward to having someone else to entertain and keep happy while the kids were at school and he was thinking he was going to be bored. Soooo... we had a little chat last Sunday night before our week started. I asked him about the things he WANTED to do and I told him about the things I HAD to do. After all...I wasn't the one on vacation, life still must go on. So, we compromised with each other and planned our week together. We also agreed to be VERY patient with one another and cut each other some slack!!!
It turned out to be an awesome week. One filled with reflection for me. I was reminded about the many reasons I fell in love with him and WANTED to marry him in the first place. We enjoyed each others company, laughed a lot and worked together. He went grocery shopping with me and helped me get my chores done. We went to the temple (thanks Mel for watching Drew), went on bike rides, and watched movies. Casey even made dinner for us several nights and helped the kids with their homework. HUGE HELP!!!
What I reflected on most, was what life used to be like for us. I was able to remember the times we had fun like that everyday and what it was like before we had 3 kids...before, when we could actually HEAR the other person talk. When we had time to remember what it was we were going to tell each other, before the thought slipped away or we got interrupted. And most of all, just how important time with your spouse is and how it can heal so many things...just spending time together. Casey already knew this though and had been trying to let me in on this clue for awhile. Sometimes it just takes me a little bit to catch on! Until the day comes that our kids are all grown :( and our house is quiet again, we will enjoy our crazy days together with our very loud kids and remember to sneak quiet time in for each other.

4 comments:

Andrea said...

Great post, and good reminder. I need that this week. How come it is so easy for our husbands to figure that out? Sometimes we get to wrapped up in the kids... atleast I do.
Thanks friend.

Stephanie said...

What an interesting thing for his work to do. I wish Eric's work would do that. I love having him home. I'm so glad you guys had the chance to spend quality time together.

Letti said...

That sounds liek a nice change for you and him both. This is one of teh perks to Darians job he is on call 7 days a week but he is home at all different times. I like doing things during the week when everyone else is at work. I am glad that you guys had so much fun.

Lindsey Jensen said...

I'm glad you guys got to spend time together! That is a good reminder to me to always remember why I married Nick in the first place and always keep that in mind during the hard times!

Related Posts with Thumbnails