Tuesday, October 14, 2008

{ We had a little mishap this weekend }...

This mishap included our neighborhood playground and Jake.

I snapped this picture of him on his way out the door to catch the bus this morning.


On Saturday afternoon, Casey and the kids rode their bikes to the park while I left to run some errands. They were at the park for only 10 minutes or so when Jake fell off the monkey bars (which he is normally a pro at) and landed right on his elbow, breaking it. My cell phone battery died on me while I was at Sam's Club printing pictures. I decided to call Casey and check in before I left the store. While I was at the customer service desk, the man working the photo department came over to tell me that my husband called looking for me and to call him A.S.A.P. So I did and Casey quickly told me to meet him at the emergency room. We spent the rest of the evening there trying to keep 3 kids entertained, which is so fun! :( Jake was so funny though! At first, you could tell that he was pretty miserable and in a lot of pain, but I think he just became numb to the situation. We are all so used to this scenario that we really don't even blink about it anymore. It wears us out and drains us of energy, but we know the drill and what to expect.
Back to Jake...there was a bed in his curtained off room and a chair but he refused to sit on either one. So he stood pretty much the whole time and played "Simon Says" with us. We had lots of laughs, which took up a small portion of the 4 hours spent in the emergency room. After some x-rays, they wrapped up his VERY, VERY swollen elbow, put him in a sling and sent us on our way. Monday morning, we spent many more hours at the Dr. office getting more x-rays and then getting his arm casted. He picked a blue one which is now completely covered with signatures. It's a long arm cast that goes from right below his shoulder all the way down to his hand. It's water proof, which is nice. We are so glad it's cooling off here. This would have been miserable in the summer! He's having a hard time at school, since it's his right hand and he has pain in the evenings from being busy all day, but we are working on all of that. We LOVE Tylenol with Codeine! So very thankful for it! Overall, he is doing great. He's a tough little boy! BOYS!!! So far this boy of ours, who is only 5, has had two sets of stitches on his head, a broken wrist (left hand, luckily) and now a broken elbow! Some of you aren't surprised at all to see him in a cast! We always have some sort of medical bills around here. Now that we have met our deductible, we might as well load it up for the rest of the year!

12 comments:

Stephanie said...

Awwww poor guy. I hope he's feeling better. Nothing like having a boy to keep your blood pressure up. Every single one of my nephews, except one, has broken an arm or elbow. Not sure what it is about boys!??!

Kellogg said...

I told Kevin about this and he made the comment that it is the 2nd most common fracture in kids. Fortunately he didn't need surgery. (bright side to the fiasco) Hope it didn't ruin your weekend too much.

The Johnson's said...

When I saw the picture of Jake it didn't surprise me too much to see that cast! (Just because I remember him having one a while ago!). I'm sorry you had to spend so much time at the hospital! I'm feeling pretty lucky right now that we have never had a broken bone with three ACTIVE boys! I hope he adjusts to the cast quickly and the pain stops soon!

Beeks by the Lake said...

with that kind of track record, I recommend and AFLAC policy - seriously - you'd make money off of him. my neighbor has it and he loves it - takes a lot of the stress off when his kids get hurt. Huge to Jake - love that smile!

Stephanie said...

Poor kid! Hope you're all dealing well.

Beth Curtis said...

poor little guy!! Brandon was reading this and laughing. Apparently it brings back memories for him. He said good luck with the next 11 years! He is a tough kid!

Curtis Family said...

hi krysta,
Here is a friend of mine that takes really great pictures I thought you would enjoy.bloggingwithholly.blogspot.com

Andrea said...

Hey, atleast it didn't happen In January when you starting over with a deductable. Pour guy. I hope it starts feeling better soon. He is a tough one.

Emily Hansen said...

Poor Jake! Kyler just walked in & was very concerned. The Monkey Bars are his favorite thing right now too. I'm sorry he has to go through this again. Maybe he'll become ambidextrous over the next few weeks!

Erica said...

That is too bad. That brought back alot of memories of Jaiden. She did the same thing in first grade and broke her arm too. Exept she was pushed off the monkey bars. Poor guy.

Amelia said...

I can truly relate. Lucky for us Jared hasn't broken any bones yet. We just had Michelle do that. She had the same break that Jake has. I can just imagine Jake haming up the whole situation. Good Luck

Gill Dockstader said...

Krysta, I sooo feel your pain! We have had 4 broken bones with our three kids. Tanner broke his leg and had a hip to toe cast. Not fun! Good for you for keeping your cool!

Related Posts with Thumbnails