Saturday, January 24, 2009

{ An early Valentine's }...

V - Heart

Friday night Casey and I had the chance to go on an early Valentines date.  It really was just supposed to be a normal date, but since our date's are few and far between, we decided to celebrate early.  We were already excited to have a night out, but changing the title to include "Valentines" made it even better.  I even pulled out the polish for my fingers and toes!  I wonder if my husband noticed that???  I forgot to tell him I went the extra mile. :)  Anyway, we had a ton of fun.  We went to my favorite restaurant and enjoyed a nice quiet dinner outside on the patio.  We took our time eating and then took our time heading over to catch a movie.  We held hands...lots. 

While I was preparing during the day for my kids to be left for 4 hours with out us, I kept thinking about dinner and a movie and holding hands.  I found myself laughing about it.  Who would have ever thought that a date consisting of dinner and a movie would be so exciting?  I was thinking back to my time in high school and how those kinds of dates were always our last options, when we couldn't come up with anything more creative.  Now they are my highlights!  Enjoying the quiet with my husband, talking about whatever we want to with out being interrupted or having to watch what we say.  And then heading off to a movie, where we get to sit next to each other and hold hands instead of having our very cute children sandwiched in the middle of us.  Honestly, what is better than that... besides leaving them with grandma for multiple days while vacationing and staying in a hotel?

Our date was possible because I have the very best visiting teacher in the world.  She puts me to shame!  She comes every month, with out a companion and doesn't just share the message with me, but always brings something with her.  Sometimes a treat, sometimes a gift, sometimes service.  This past month she brought me a homemade coupon for a date night.  She wanted to provide the service of spending time with my children for free.  She even brought dinner with her!  Seconds before Casey was heading out the door to grab pizza for the kids, she called and said she was grabbing pizza and bringing it with her.  She's a mind reader too!  I love and appreciate her so much.  I have the privilege of working with her in Young Women's too.  I watch the way she is and the things she does and I learn so much from her.  She is a true example to me in soooooo many ways.  A couple of months ago when she came to visit me, I told her how much I look up to her and want to be like her.  I asked how in the world she has time to do service for so many people?  (she has 5 kids)  She laughed at me and told me she only does service for me, after all,  she's my visiting teacher.  I told her that's not true at all.  I see all of the things she does. She's NEVER home!  She was modest about it and told me how strongly she felt about visiting teaching.  Heavenly Father put her in charge of me.  She is the only sister who has that calling.  No other sister is put in charge of Krysta Moes and makes sure she is completely looked out for.  I knew that, but I never really pondered it before.  I have been ever since I heard her say it that way.  It has changed the way I look at Visiting Teaching. 

I am so thankful for moving different places and meeting different people and all of the life lessons I learn from those around me.  I take things from everyone I meet and mold them into my own life.  I will always try to be a better Visiting Teacher now and look out for the things my sisters need in particular.  I am grateful for always being blessed with loving Visiting Teachers.  She isn't the only set of Visiting Teachers I have had who is missing their companion.  I have learned that even if I have a companion who isn't as committed, I still need to go.  After all, who else is called to look after my sisters?           

6 comments:

The Johnson's said...

What a fun night out and an awesome Visiting Teacher!! I have a new companion and have stressed about it (it will be difficult for us to go together) so I will remember your thoughts and just be the best VT I can be with or without her! It's always fun to hear how you all are doing! We miss you guys.

Eileen said...

I want to be just like her! How lovely to have such an angel to look over and bless you. TFS

Mark and Adrian said...

I wish I was a great visiting teacher like her. How fun for you and Casey to have an early Valentines. I bet the kids had a great time too.

Brynne said...

What a neat post! You show how full of love, humility,and gratitude you are. And I love your VTers perspective, that is awesome and can be applied to so many situations. So glad you got to have your romantic night out! We are bad at regular dates too, so the good thing is when we finally go it doesn't have to be anything elaborate because we are just so grateful to be out and be together!

Lindsey Jensen said...

You are so good Krys! You are an example to me in more ways then you know!! I'm glad you had a fun night out with Casey. You guys deserve it!

Andrea said...

That post took me by surprise. It has a wonderful surprise ending. I was prepared to hear all about the details of the date, which would have been wonderful, but instead it was a testimony builder. Thank you. I am going to be better at my VT. I am making phone calls tomorrow.

Related Posts with Thumbnails