Monday, June 8, 2009

Summer {FUN}

Summer is here and we are so excited!   I think I get just as excited about summer as my kids do.  I love the change in routine, having my kids home and the freedom the summer brings.  Their last day of school was Thursday.  I took them on a little shopping trip after school that day.  We went to Target and I let them each pick out one new toy.  I'm not usually one for buying my kids toys.  Birthday's and Christmas and that's about it (mean, I know, but I hate when the toys lay around untouched!)  The boys each picked out a new lego set and Kaylee got a paper doll clothes designing kit.  I don't know if it's because they don't get spoiled with toys all the time or if we just picked out the perfect toy for each of them...whatever it was, it was worth it!! They have played so good non-stop.  The T.V. has hardly been on at all and there hasn't been the normal amount of fighting.  I LOVE it!  I threw a 550 piece puzzle in the mix too.  I thought it would be fun to have a puzzle out for everyone to work on...nice quiet time and another thing that doesn't involve the T.V.  So that night my dining room was turned into the "Puzzle Room".  I'm just glad the room is getting used and they are all enjoying working on it randomly through out the day. 

Dining Room Puzzle Family - 1 There is the crew, unwinding after our swim meet on Saturday.

A couple of weeks ago I started  preparing for the summer.  I wanted my kids input, so we had a Family Home Evening/ Family Council about our summer.  I asked the kids what fun things they had in mind.  I got plenty of answers and had to quickly add them to my list!  Here's what you will find us doing this summer.

 

Our Summer Fun List

Trips to the Library

Playing at the pool - lots and lots!

Art Time

Baking Treats

Craft Time

Movie Theater - we did the weekly movies again, 10 shows for $5.00

School Time - I need to work with Drew on his ABC's, numbers and colors.  This will be a good time for the kids to work on math and write stories.

Cook from our kids cookbook

Free Time

Computer Time

Read the book "Super Fudge" together and other chapter books.

Ice Cream dates to the park.

Bike rides

Sprinkler fun

Bike wash

Movies with friends at home

Go to the beach

Walks

Trips to the Dollar Store

Earn money to buy their own toy

Side walk chalk

Trips to the Zoo

Field trip to the Museum

Plant flowers from seeds in their very own flower bed.

Service Projects

Make our own recycling center

Water Park

Playdates with friends

Puzzles

I added a folder labeled "Summer" to my basket.  I had to keep all of my thoughts and plans somewhat organized. (You know me!)  All of my lists are there, pages I've torn out of magazines with craft ideas...anything related to summer. I had Casey print me out a summer calendar.  I organize it a week at a time (I can't get too far ahead of myself because things are always changing).  I plan out what we'll do each day.  Every night, Super Kid for the week gets to write on our chalkboard in the kitchen what we are doing the next day.  When the kids wake up, they see the plan and know what to expect.  It helps me too when we find ourselves "lost" through out the day.  Hopefully this will also prevent many fights because I don't have to scramble to come up with a distraction.  All I have to do is look at the board and see what we had planned.  So far so good!

FYI: My mom and I made curtains while she was here visiting...that's where I've been during my lack of posting (that and lots and lots of organizing).  I haven't had time to take pictures, but I will get to it this week.  Check back! :) 

5 comments:

Letti said...

It sounds like your summer is off to a great start. We still have a couple of weeks left until ours officially begins. I love all of your ideas. So far at our house we have an uh oh jar and that seems to be working out pretty well.

Stephanie said...

How fun! I might steal a few of your summer ideas. As the kids get older, they are interested in less activities ): 4 more days of school here. I cannot wait. I love the puzzle idea, except I know if one of the dogs gets in he/she will jump all over it!!

Brynne said...

I love how organized you are! We too have a list, but haven't gone so far as to decide what will happen when--that is a great idea. Sometimes the anticipation of something fun coming up can be even more fun than the actual event! :) I love the SuperKid and chalkboard idea, thanks for sharing!

Tallie Geddes said...

Wow - you've never been one to be overly organized or anything;)!! Sounds like fun!

Andrea said...

We are way to much alike. I like the super kid idea. I might have to steal that part of it.

Related Posts with Thumbnails