Thursday, May 27, 2010

Summer Prep – Part 4

 Idea Jars

Idea jars are going to be my secret mommy weapon this summer.  One of those things you just happen to pull out of nowhere in a split second.  My kids will either think I am completely awesome or they will know I’ve had it and they better get ready to work.  The great thing is…it’s up to them.  

Ideas - 1

2 jars – one if they are being nice and one if they are being naughty. 

I don’t know about your house, but at ours we have sibling squabbles, rowdy play, arguing and lots of deafness going on.  My children tend to not hear me a lot of the time.  When quiet time isn’t working and free play is creating havoc, I will pull out my jars for quick thinking. 

First I have to decide which jar to use.  If they are on my naughty list, which means they have had plenty of chances to redeem themselves and this is the last straw, then they each have to choose a slip from the naughty jar.

Here are a few examples of what they might draw:

Take out the garbage's

Clean your jammy drawer

Windex the back door

Clean the garage

Straighten the house

Dump the recycle

Clean the door knobs

If they are behaving well and just need a little help getting started on an activity during free play or… I’m feeling really nice and generous that day, then they get to choose from the nice jar.  Super Kid gets to choose 1 and all 3 of them do that 1 activity.  We have to simplify.

Here are a few examples of what they might draw:

Make brownies – we always have a box mix in our panty

Story time – each takes a turn reading to each other (like at the library)

Board Games

Bubbles outside

Play Leap Frog

Wii Sing It or Bowling

Play Telephone

Movie and Popcorn

Make a snow cone – eat it outside

Give back and foot rubs

Side walk chalk

Cut out magazines

Count the commercials on your TV show

Spin the bottle – you set up books in a circle with a water bottle in the middle.  Spin it and read the book it lands on.

Color a picture for mommy – it has to be super pretty (which means take your time)

It  is really up to them which jar I choose.  I want them to have a lot of fun this summer.  They have plenty of opportunities to do fun things.   I’m hoping that this gives them an incentive to listen and behave.  If not, I’m going to have a clean house!  Sounds like a win, win to me. :)

Check back tomorrow for my last summer post.   

To read part 1

To read part 2

To read part 3

4 comments:

Beth Curtis said...

L.O.V.E this idea. I need to remember your blog posts about summer about 5 years from now!

Andrea said...

Great Idea. I love it. I love all your summer ideas.

Tallie Geddes said...

I'm going to take a nap now! I got tired thinking about ALL that planning - you crazy girl - but that's one of the things I love about ya. But what do you expect from the girl who glues BAGS of beans to make a wreath - still makes me smile! Are you coming to Utah this year - I want you to come and JUST SIT at my house!

Lindsey Jensen said...

I'm with Beth! I LOVE the ideas but I just need Bronson to get bigger so that I can use them!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails