Thursday, September 8, 2011

A recipe but not for something edible.

This week we have gotten on a much better routine.  We are enjoying school and everything that comes with it as well as the amazing fall weather.  It is about time for us!  Although we have had no rain and LOTS of fires (not close by, but close enough) the fall weather is here and it is making me so happy.  So happy that I felt like tackling a project for Ady that should have happened a long time ago.  I had been meaning to do this with her all summer, but it just didn’t happen.

What is this “thing”?

Playdough!

It is such a simple thing really, but it wasn’t “simple” for me until this week.  This girl needs to be entertained with something that holds her attention for a very long time.  She gets bored easily and wants to move on to the next thing quickly.  She loves playing with my jewelry, taking each piece on and off over and over again and the boys Legos.  Yes.  Their itty-bitty, teeny-tiny Lego pieces will entertain her forever.  Why don’t they make girl Lego sets?  Do they and I just don’t know about it?

Anyway, playdough had the same effect on her.  

Play_0026

I knew she would love it. 

Drew was home sick Tuesday and Wednesday this week.  I don’t think  he minded being home.

Play_0023

In fact, I actually really miss him when he’s gone.  He is truly my buddy.  Oh…and he helps entertain Ady. :)  That’s a bonus.

Look at Ady’s cute little hands.  My girlfriend Sara did glitter toes and fingernails when she had her one day.  They bonded.  Ady has shown every. single. person her fingers for the last week. 

Play_0008

I put placemats down on the table to help with the mess.  I had to tape them down because Drew was complaining they were moving when he was using the rolling pin. 

I’m really not a fan of playdough.  At least not the kind you buy at the store.  It dries up and crumbles way to easy and ends up all over the floor.  Yuck!  I have used a homemade recipe for the last couple of years and it has changed everything!  I wish I knew about this when Kaylee and Jake were little.  I just put up with the other kind because I thought I had to.

I learned a new trick at the Children’s Museum a couple of weeks ago.  They put glitter in it.  Who would have thought?  Well, maybe you might have, but that thought did not cross my mind.  It is so fun! You can kind of see it in the picture below, but it doesn’t do it justice. 

Play_0011

Did you look really hard?

I had the small Martha Stewart flakes on hand and I think the chunkier flakes would have made a huge difference. You could still tell though.  When the big kids got home from school they flocked right to the playdough and commented on how “sparkly” it was.  

Play_0022   

There well definitely be more afternoons like this. 

Playdough

1 cup flour

1 cup water

1 Tbsp. Oil

1/4 cup salt

Food coloring

2 Tbsp. cream of tartar

Mix flour, salt and cream of tartar.  Set aside.  In saucepan over medium heat, combine water, food coloring and oil.  Cook to a boil.  Add dry ingredients to mixture and cook on low until dough starts to pull away from sides of pan.

Knead until cool.  It will be warm at first.  Store in plastic bag and place it in a container that can be sealed.  It does not need to be refrigerated and it will last about a month.

If you need a Playdough recipe give this one a try.  It is SUPER easy.  Your kids will think you’re awesome and you will have a peaceful afternoon. 

5 comments:

Tam said...

I need to make this ... I can already imagine the dough balls flying! Ubetter watch out, Drew is going to faking sick to stay home if u continue to do fun stuff! I make it as boring as possible so they'll want to go back to school! Fun, fun, fun!

Beth Curtis said...

alright, I am getting on that! I personally love the idea of the glitter (even though I have a boy, I want to play too!) I am dying over Ady's bun. She is a little woman! Hurry up and get here already!

Andrea said...

I will have to do glitter next time. I love that idea. I bet that entertains Ady for a long time. I bet Drew loved it too.

Prudently Painted Vintage said...

I saw the glitter at the childrens museum too. That really is a great idea!! I may be a bad mom, but I despise playdough!!! So maybe we could just cOme over to your house and play with yours ;)

Stephanie said...

How fun! And just yesterday I saw girl legos at Sam's club. It seems like it was a house or something.

Related Posts with Thumbnails