Tuesday, March 25, 2008

No Regrets

Lately I have had this habit of leaving my current magazine out on the kitchen table all the time so that I will read whenever I get a spare second. Right now it's the Ensign with the General Conference Addresses from November 2007. I was reading Elder Snow's talk on service and a part struck me in it where he was telling a story about his mother while she was dying from cancer. He asked her a couple of days before she died if she had any regrets...her regret was not serving enough. Of course he was shocked because she was always serving, but I kept thinking all day about what my regret would be if I left this earth. I hope not to leave anytime soon, but more than that I really don't want to regret anything important. What kept coming to my mind all day was being a more patient and better mom. I know we all feel like we would like to be more patient at something in our lives, but I really am not patient at all. I always feel so bad and regretful the second I lose my patience with anyone in my family (you too my husband) but especially my kids. Then, later that night I was reading out of President Hinckley's book "Stand A Little Taller" (this one sits on my night stand and I try to read a couple of pages a night along with my owners manual to my new camera and I always have some novel I'm trying to read). The page I was reading was entitled "An Heritage Of The Lord" (page 120) The scripture was Psalm 127:3 -5 "Lo, children are an heritage of the Lord: and the furit of the womb is his reward. As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth. Happy is the man that hath his quiver full of them." President Hinckley goes on to say that we should look upon our children as the most precious of our assets and lead them by the power of our example in kindness and love. After pondering about my kids and my inabilities as mother all day and then to read that as I went to bed, I knew that it was time to do some changing. I've known this for a long time (as long as I've been a mom), but now I needed to act upon it.

Anyway, I hope that by posting this and knowing that other people are reading this, my goal will seem real and I will always remember how important it is to be a more patient mother. They do grow up so fast and instead of wishing this time away and getting on with my busy day, I need to take time to enjoy them and everything that comes along with having 3 beautiful kids. Every day is a new day, right? So, I have the opportunity to start over each day if I have a bad one!!!

5 comments:

David Curtis said...

Krysta, remember who's library you stole that book "Stand A Little Taller" from....but also remember, don't beat yourself up about what you haven't accomplished, but enjoy and see what you have accomplished - and know that your children have only been given to you for a short time. Always let them know you love them, and they will learn to handle the amount of patience you give them.

Letti said...

This is something I need to work on too. Being more patient especially with my stepson. I love the idea of leaving the church mags out on the table. I am going to do that and maybe the kids will start opening them up while they are eating brekfast.

Stephanie said...

I totally agree with "dad." Love your kids and it will be ok. What a wise man "dad" is! He brought tears to my eyes. I have never seen you be anything but a wonderful mother. But I do know we all have room to improve- but isn't that why we are here- to learn to "stand a little taller."

Thanks for the comments on my sb room pictures. That's the idea, they are suppose to be inspiring so I am surrounded (sp?) by constant inspiration. I do have to say, take 15-30 minutes a day for "you" then you will be more patient with your kids. Hey, and let the cleaning go just a little bit! ;) love ya!

Lindsey Jensen said...

Sis, you are amazing. You are a much better mom then you give yourself credit for. I only hope that when I am a mom that I will be half the mom you are. I know that we are need to have more patience but I think you are doing pretty well.

Love you! Oh and thanks for always posting on my blog!!

Andrea said...

I have been thinking about the same thing. Our bishops testimony today was about what if this was our last day. What would we do?
Then we talked about how we treat and raise our children in RS, I have a lot of work to do. I will follow your lead, and have this as my new goal.

Related Posts with Thumbnails