Wednesday, October 22, 2008

{ The Good }...

Yesterday was not a good day. I felt the heavy burdens of life's everyday responsibilities and I let it get to me...A LOT!

BUT, as I was laying in bed last night, all I could think about were the small things that had made me smile.

*Hearing Drew tell Kaylee how much he missed her while she was at school.
*Drinking hot chocolate with my kids for their after school snack.
*Drew had broken one of Jake's toys while he was at school. He told me that he felt bad about it because Jake is his friend.
*Coming home from running errands with the kids to find my husband mowing the lawn.
*Melissa bringing my family dinner because I had a breakdown with her on the phone that day.
*Casey taking all of the kids to wash the car so that I could have some time ALL BY MYSELF (even if it was just a half an hour).
*Family and friends calling me just to say hi. Me pouring my heart out and then having the chance to listen to words of wisdom.
*Kaylee holding my hand while we were shopping.
*Drew wanting to hold Jake's hand (this caused a big fight because Jake didn't want to hold his hand), but I still loved hearing Drew say that he wanted to hold his big brothers hand.
*Spending a little extra time with Kaylee after the other kids were in bed.
*Casey sacrificing his workout time last night to spend time with me while we finished the kids Halloween costumes.
*Drew reminding me to help him say his bedtime prayers. I had forgotten with the hustle and bustle.
As I was laying there thinking about all of these things, I realized that I see the Lord's hand in my life like that everyday. Sometimes I'm just to busy to notice it. I'm always wishing that I had more time in my day (don't we all?) But I realized that it's how we spend our time that matters, not how much time we have because we'll never have enough.
I ran across this quote again last night:

In all of living have much fun and laughter, life is to be enjoyed not just endured. -President Gordon B. Hinckley

I can't let myself get so caught up in the everyday responsibilities that I forget to enjoy the good things in my day. Everything has a way of working itself out. Life is to short not to focus on the good.

What do I really have to complain about?

5 comments:

Andrea said...

Great insight. Sometimes we have to have those bad days to help us re-focus on the good. I love how you found all of those thigns to make you smile. You really paid attention, and found a lot. That is a great quote. I think we could all stand to remember that a little. On Sunday we talked about, "How we all know that Heavenly Father is there for us, and that he loves us. It is just the remembering that is hard." I struggle to remember when I get caught up in the many many things that I think I must do. But do I really need to do them? Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me.

Alison Woods said...

You have BEAUTIFUL children. Thanks for reminding us all to remember our blessings and be grateful.

Beth Curtis said...

I love it. that is such a sweet list and inspiring to look at all the little blessings in your life.

Emily Hansen said...

I'm sorry that you were having a bad day. What a great idea to help change your mood by coming up with all of those wonderful little positives! I miss you. Call me when you need to talk!

Paige said...

AMEN!! Isn't that exactly how life is.....I many many times forget to be thankful for the small little things! That quote from President Hinkley is in vinyl above my kitchen table because I love it so much! I look at it every single day! nice to know we are on the same wave length!

Related Posts with Thumbnails