Wednesday, June 24, 2009

{ Curtains }

I mentioned awhile ago in one of my posts that I would share the curtains my mom and I made while she was here visiting.  Life just hasn't stopped since then, but I found some time to get them off my camera today.  Anything to do with sewing is a huge accomplishment for me so I have to share.  My mom and I always end up playing with my house when she comes.  That's just what we do.  We tackled my kitchen and my family room.  Both rooms have been driving me crazy to get finished, but the finishing details weren't coming together.  I love these rooms now!  Curtains to me are like paint.  It finishes everything and makes a room look so much better!   I wish I had before pictures, but I don't, so you'll just have to look at the after.

Here is the family room:   

Family Room

The ceilings are so tall so that makes it a little challenging sometimes.  I got a new tree for the corner and a lamp for the other corner.  I used to have two shabby looking trees that desperately needed to be replaced.  One in each corner.  Curtains, some new pillows and a couple of new accessories finished it off for me. 

Here's a close up of the curtain.  It really doesn't get easier than this and there is no sewing involved!

Family Room Curtain 

We bought a piece of plywood at Home Depot and had them cut it to size.  Wrapped the board with batting and used a staple gun on the backside.  Then wrapped the material around and stapled that on the backside also.  Easy, Easy, Easy!

My kitchen nook area was my other trouble spot.  Here it is after.  (Sorry, no before pictures again)

Centerpeice 

I love this little corner now!  It makes me happy every time I walk in the kitchen.  The shelf was on the wall before with the tea cups, but we added flowers to them and put the tin behind it.  I always struggle with a centerpiece for my kitchen table.  Nothing seems to be just right.  It took us about 4 different shopping trips, bringing things home to try on the table and then returning to start again before we put these together.  I love the simplicity and clean look of it.  I still need to put a picture in the frame.  I will have that done before my next round of company comes.  ( We just enjoyed a really fun visit from the Swenson family.  We miss you guys more than you know!!) I tried to get a good picture of the whole kitchen, but the light wasn't great. 

Here are the curtains we made.  These involved the good ol' sewing machine!   

Kitchen Curtains

Straight lines though and easy to do.  I have 3 windows in my kitchen.  Two this size and one larger one.  I can't tell you how much better curtains make me feel!  It's like having the perfect piece of jewelry to go with an outfit...it just feels complete.  Thanks for your help mom!!!

4 comments:

Eileen said...

Your house is so adorable! I love that curtain (board wrapped with fabric) idea. TFS

Andrea said...

I loved seeing these in person. It really looks so great.

Lindsey Jensen said...

Again... so cute!! I can't wait to see the whole house for the first time! Just a few more weeks!! Can't wait!!

Brynne said...

I hope you realize just how talented you are--those projects all look awesome!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails