Monday, March 29, 2010

Musings about Motherhood…

I have been thinking a lot about time lately.  This isn’t a new thing actually but I feel like I finally figured it out.  I had an aha moment this week, thanks to my husband. Let me tell you how I used to view time.

If I have one pet peeve or one thing that I nag about (about myself, to myself) it’s time.  Where does the time go?  Why did I only get one thing marked off my list and add 4 new ones?  Why does Drew want a snack right after I just cleaned up the kitchen?  Why does it take Kaylee almost 1 hour everyday to do her homework?  Why does Ady sometimes nap for 1/2 an hour instead of one full hour?  Why does Jake hop around every morning when I do his hair instead of just standing still?  It would take me half the time to get his hair done.   Why do I not get to scrapbook or read or watch T.V.  as much as I used to?  Why does it take me until almost 9:00 to finish up my chores for the night?  Why do I say I’m going to run errands for 2 hours and it really takes me 3?  Those are just a few of the questions that run through my head every day.  I feel like time gets stolen from me some way or another each day.  I have a list of things I need to get done and on the list are usually a couple of things I want to get done.  I’m good to prioritize so my list of wants are most often put towards the end.  I never, ever, ever  get everything done on my list.  Who does, really?  That used to eat me up, day after day.  I used to be able to make a list and feel like I accomplished something  at the end of the day.  Now, hardly ever.  It honestly drove me crazy.  I am the kind of person who is driven by self motivation.  Self motivation that stems from a sense of accomplishment.  If I don’t feel like I have accomplished something recently than my motivation starts to dwindle and I am left wondering “What’s the point?  Why do I even bother?” 

I have been complaining to Casey about time.  His time, my time, time as a family.  What has happened to it?  Where has it gone?  He feels the same time crunch and I know everyone else does too.  We live in busy times.  Times where it is so easy to add extra little things into our day.  Things that take up more time than we thought they would and probably aren’t as important as they might seem to be.  He has heard counsel from the Stake President recently on several different occasions about this same topic.  He shared it with me.  This one short sentence completely changed my view on time. 

“We all have the same 24-hours in a day.  It’s what we do with our time that is important.” 

That’s when it hit me.  Hearing that was like taking a blind fold from my eyes.  I could finally understand the value and importance of motherhood.  All of these years I knew how important motherhood was and I knew what I was doing was the right thing.  Heavenly Father wanted and needed me to be a mother.  I have been walking the steps of motherhood for almost 9 years now.  I know how hard and tedious it is.  Over time, I somehow changed my view on the day to day things and labeled them in my mind as unimportant.  “I am getting nothing accomplished.”  “I can’t get anything marked off my list.”  “All I do is wipe off counters and cook and do laundry.”  “Why can’t I ever get ahead?”  I had a completely selfish view and the selfishness made me truly think what I was doing every day was definitely not an accomplishment.  Getting my household chores done and having happy kids was not an accomplishment unless I got all of the extra things done each day too.  I was living in a dream land!  The reality of what I thought my day should be was so different than how it really was.  There is nothing greater than the call of motherhood.  I truly, truly, believe that now with all of my heart.  All of the tedious things that I do each day are soooooo important and sooooooo valuable.  There is nothing more important than taking care of Heavenly Father’s children.  I value my roll as a mother 100% now and view each day as an accomplishment.  Because it is.  It is from these tedious, trivial things that we make our children who they are.  And Heavenly Father values that.   

6 comments:

Tara said...

Krysta - I hope you don't mind me blog stalking you a little - I'm one of Andrea's old Kansas friends, and I like to peek at your life every now and then. :) This post rings so true for me! This is exactly what I've been dealing with lately, too -- reconciling my idea of productivity with my reality of raising young children. Thank you! It's always good to remember that the mundane is meaningful!!!

Lindsey Jensen said...

I love that!!! You are always so inspired and such a good example!! Your an amazing mom!!!

Brynne said...

Great insight Krysta, thanks for sharing!

Heidi Parson said...

Krysta~I loved your post!! My life was changed in a similar way when I heard a confernce talk a couple of years ago. I can't rememeber who was talking but I do remember them talking to us mothers. They spoke about how we get so wrapped up in our daily tasks of cleaning and cooking, laundry ect.. They told us to play with our kids, Leave the dishes in the sink and the cloth unfolded, to really enjoy our babies and get down on the floor and really play with our toddlers when they are young. Becasue the day will come when the laundary won't pile up and the dishes will always be done, and when that day comes, it will be the day that our children have left the house and all the years of worrying about the clean house and dishes will be for not. and the time spent with our children will be the only memories we are left with. That talk was a BIG eye opener for me. I need to go and find it again!! Thank you so much for sharing your post. It was a GREAT reminder to me!!!

Tiffiny said...

Great post! I'm a major list maker myself and it seems like when I cross one thing off the list I add 3 or 4 more things to the bottom....
I have a strong opinion that Satan's biggest attack on the family is on our time. Mothers nowadays are soooo BUSY (much of it self-imposed I admit).
This post just brought it back to the basics. The menial, trivial, seemingly small things are really big things. Here's a quote for you (it's become a mantra for me when I get discouraged when little ones wreak havoc on my just-cleaned home) "Cleaning the house while the kids are still growing is like shoveling the walk when it's still snowing." Too true!!!
Again, Great post!!!

Letti said...

This has been on my mind lately too. Especially since having Paisley it seems like times just goes by that much faster. I have found myself letting my house go a little more or not wanting it to be "perfect" so that I can spend more time with my family. This is very hard for me but it has been fun.

Related Posts with Thumbnails