Thursday, May 5, 2011

Around Here {my kitchen table centerpiece}

Once I added a chandelier above my kitchen table, my current center piece didn’t work anymore.  It wasn’t in proportion.  So of course I had to fix that. :)

My re-do started out with this before and after.

Before and After

The glass jar once held tall twiggy greenery, but when I hung the chandelier the twigs were too tall.  It sort of just evolved into the after.  I love when that happens!  I knew I wanted to put old book pages inside.  I just randomly grabbed a book and started tearing out pages.  I actually did this whole project while talking on the phone.  You can’t see it, I forgot to take a close up, but the edges of the paper are stained green.  That’s just how the pages came, but you could easily ink the edges.  It’s the perfect extra touch that just happened to be a bonus for me.  I noticed it after the fact.  Once I added the book pages I decided it needed more, so I added the twine.  I didn’t glue it or anything.  I just tied the end and beginning of the twine in a knot around the top and then kept wrapping it around until I got to the bottom and then tied it in a knot again to end it.  I thought I was done after this and then walked back into the room and decided I wasn’t. It needed an extra whimsical touch.  Something out of the ordinary, since the chandelier is out of the ordinary.  So I decided to experiment with stamping #’s.  I was a little nervous since I really do love this glass jar and I did not want to ruin it, but I am so glad I took the risk and went for it.  It is one of my favorite things!  Side note:  I did this same technique on a frame in my bedroom and the ink would wipe off the glass with Windex, but this glass is different and will NOT wipe off.  Luckily I didn’t mess up and I absolutely adore it, but if you try this, maybe test it first in an unnoticeable spot if you aren’t sure.  I used a regular black ink pad, nothing special and some # stamps I had from my paper scrapping days. 

At one of my Hobby Lobby runs I found these 3 bottles and had to bring them home with me. 

Bottles - 1 edit

I sanded the two pictures to make them look more vintage.  They looked too new before.  Then I tore some more book pages and stuffed them into the center one and tied some twine around the top. 

I decided I wanted to go with a glass look for my table.  Something light and airy, but it wasn’t finished with the 4 things I had.  Something was missing.  So I pulled out my glass cake stand that had been tucked away in my cupboard. 

Cookies

I didn’t have any homemade treats :(  no time for that, but I ALWAYS have a stash of Oreo’s!

Here was my finished product…for a couple of days.

Kitchen - 1 edit 

I really liked it, but I still felt like something was missing.  Sometimes I have to live with things for a couple of days.  Then I remembered my thrift store .99 bargain. 

Here is another before and after.

Before and After 1 

I wrapped the bottom with burlap and tied twine around it. 

I found this nest printable here.

Tag - edit

I printed it out onto cardstalk.  I decided to make it into a tag and embellish it with glitter.  I was dying to try this new glitter.  I have had it for a couple of months and it was time use it!  

This glitter is another one of  my new favorite things! 

Glitter - CW

German Glass Glitter.  SO much better than the average glitter you get at the store.  It is so easy to use and much better quality.  I love the fact that it will tarnish and look even more vintage. I got it at a boutique while shopping in McKinney, Tx.  I glittered up the edges of the tag and added a bit to the birds.  Once it was dry, I tied it around the topiary with some black vintage ribbon I also purchased at the same boutique for .50 a yard.  And that finished that!

Table - 1 - edit 

So much better, I think!

Table edit

It needed something to break up the glass.  By this time I DID have a homemade treat in my cake stand. :) 

Cake Cookies edit

The recipe is easy and yummy.  Definitely a treat to make when you are in the mood for a treat, but have NO time.  Super fast.  I am so glad a fellow blogger shared this.

And here is the final product.

Kitchen - 2-edit

I am contemplating a table runner.  I love how simple and clean it looks like this and I really don’t like dealing with more than I have to on my kitchen table, but I don’t know.  For now…I am done! What do you think?

P.S.  Did you notice that half of the cookies are gone in this picture compared to the one above it?  My kids loved them!

5 comments:

Lindsey Jensen said...

I love it!! So fun!

KW said...

Great job! Loved how it all turned out.

Prudently Painted Vintage said...

Ok so this post made me jump all around and get a little caught up. I went to the post on the chandelier which is gorgeous. It feels whimsical. Then, I went to the armoire post to see the green paint. LOVE that piece. It looks like an expensive piece from pottery barn now. It is amazing what some paint can do! I love it all. I don't think you need a table runner. It looks perfect the way it is! Love every detail of it. By the way I want some yummy cookies :)

Andrea said...

I love it. I love to see that you are doing projects. Is this Around here going to be a regular post. I really like that idea.

Beth Curtis said...

oh man! So many things! The twine totally does it for me. I can't believe you found that topiary for .99. And, I have been dying to try german glass but I know it is kinda spendy. Looks like you had fun!

Related Posts with Thumbnails