Friday, October 28, 2011

Our Fall Favorites

Are you ready for Halloween?  I always have to psyche myself up for all of the craziness that comes with it.  The candy, the parties, the overly excited kids (because of the candy and parties) and the Halloween mess that comes no matter how prepared I am.  It’s like a whirlwind of a weekend, no matter what.  Ready or not…here it comes!  I am ready though. :)

Actually today is feeling pretty fallish.  It’s really cool outside, almost cold.  There has been some rain here and there and Ady has been dancing around in her swim suit today, of all days!   Tonight we have our annual trunk or treat for church.  This includes a chili cook-off which is always fun to try new recipes.    I thought today would be a great day to share a couple of our fall favorite recipes.  And since we are having chili tonight, here are our two favorite chili recipes.

White Chili  (this is what I am bringing tonight.  This recipe came from one of our friends from Providence.  Thanks for sharing it with us Erica!)

1 – 1 1/2 lbs. chicken breasts cut into small chunks (I boil and shred mine and usually use 3 large chicken breasts)

1 onion diced

1 cup chicken broth

1 - 4oz. can green chilies

2 tsp. cumin

3 – 15 oz. cans of Great Northern Beans (or any white bean)

1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes

salt and pepper to taste

1 cup sour cream

1 cup Monterey Jack cheese

In a large pot fry chicken and onion in cooking oil until well browned.  (This is where I just boil my chicken breasts separately.  I add the diced onion to the soup mix).  Simmer the rest of the ingredients, except the sour cream and cheese, on low heat for 30-35 min.  stirring occasionally.  After that I add my shredded chicken, sour cream and cheese and simmer until heated through and cheese is melted.  Serve and enjoy!

Sweet Chili  (this is a great one when you have company for dinner or you need to take someone a meal.  It is so yummy and serves a lot.  You can freeze the leftovers too, or just enjoy them for days to come).

2 lbs. ground beef

1 onion – diced

2 cloves garlic – minced

2 tsp. chili powder

2 tsp. salt

1 tsp. black pepper

1 tsp. cumin

1 tsp. dried oregano

1 can 28 oz. diced tomatoes

1 can 28 oz. tomato sauce

1 can 16 oz. kidney beans – drained and rinsed

1/2 cup brown sugar

1 lb. cooked elbow macaroni

Brown beef, onion and garlic until beef is cooked through.  Drain, then add chili powder, salt, cumin, pepper and oregano.  Cook for 2 min. until fragrant.  Add diced tomatoes, tomato sauce and 1 can of water.  Add beans and brown sugar.  Bring to a boil.  Lower heat and simmer, uncovered for 30-35 min.  Let stand for 10 min.  Add cooked macaroni.  Top with cheese and sour cream.  Serve and enjoy.

In our house it is not officially fall until we have made Pumpkin Bars.  Casey grew up with these.  They are his favorite and is now a family favorite.  I made these last week.

Pumkin Bars

Pumpkin Bars

Blend:

4 eggs

1 cup oil

2 cups sugar

1 tsp. vanilla

Add:

1 can 16 oz. pumpkin

2 cups flour

1 tsp. baking soda

2 tsp. cinnamon

Pour into a greased 9x13 in. pan and cook at 350 for 45-50 min.  Let cool completely before frosting.

Frosting

3 oz (or 1/2  a brick of cream cheese)

1/4 cup of butter

1 tsp. vanilla

After mixing, add 2 cups powder sugar.  Frost Pumpkin Bars and enjoy!

 

I hope you all have a wonderful weekend!

5 comments:

Beth Curtis said...

I am LOVING all these recipes! Too bad they are all yummy and naughty :( I must say, I HATE chilli but I LOVE Your white chilli. Totally not the same thing. You are awesome per usual.

Tam said...

I am excited to try your white chili. Pumpkins bars are my favorite ... But I insist on adding chocolate chips and cashews. Delish! Your kiddos looked darling tonight.

Colleen said...

I love chili! The pumpkin bars look so good. I can see why they must be a favorite. Have a good Halloween!

Kari said...

Fall just isn't fall without pumpkin bars! I'm excited to try that white chili. I'm always trying to find gluten-free recipes that the whole family likes so I don't have to make something separate for Colton every night. Cooking for 8 every day is hard enough!

Miller time said...

I need to be more like you:) Thanks for the yummy recipes. I will be using them soon. I love that they are your families favorites it make me excited to try them out cause I know people actually will eat them.

Related Posts with Thumbnails