Monday, October 31, 2011

Our Weekend

Before I get to our Halloween post, I want to post about our weekend.  I hope everyone had a great Halloween though!  We did.  It was as crazy as ever, but the kids said they had an awesome time, so it was a success. :)

This weekend was relaxing and slower paced than what we are used to, which was a pleasant change for all.  The trunk or treat was a perfect way to start our weekend.  It was fun to spend time with friends and let the kids run crazy.   Saturday, on our way home from the boys football games, we scouted out a couple of new parks.  While we were at one of them, Jake found this Monarch Butterfly.  He was in awe that it just came right up onto his hand and didn’t try to leave.  When we got back into the van, he still had the butterfly with him.  I guess we found a new pet, so it came home with us. 

Butterfly_0035 

It entertained the kids all. day. long. 

Seriously.  They were serious about this new pet.

They made it it’s very own habitat.  They even gave her a name.  Stella.

This is Drew’s habitat that he made with great care.

 Butterfly_0049

Yes, half of poor Stella’s wing is missing.  She was like that  before, which is why she never tried to leave Jake’s hand.  She is still beautiful.

The kids spent the day working together and taking turns “caring” for Stella.

Butterfly_0036

They did a lot of  butterfly watching and talked amongst themselves about what she needed to drink and eat.

Untitled-1

It was fun to see them being kids.   Spending the day outside enjoying nature and using their imagination.  Exactly what they should be doing!  Which will happen a lot more if we, as a family, can remember to slow down, which I think we are doing much better at.  I am giving myself a pat on the back for that.  It has been hard to learn how important that really is. 

Later that night we had a family night.  We stayed home and had a Halloween movie party. 

Before we started the movie we dipped pretzel rods in white chocolate and made ghosts. 

Untitled-1

They loved this!  They had free reign to make the most imperfect ghosts their little hearts desired.  I was just there to take pictures of them having fun.  I will admit that at first I had a different idea.  I explained to them how to do it and that the chocolate chips were for the ghosts eyes, so only two chocolate chips on each pretzel.  Well, I don’t know what I was thinking, but they had their own agenda so I gave up and let them do what they wanted.  I put the idea of pretty little ghosts clear in the back of my mind. :) 

Their plan had a lot of dipping and then licking  involved.  

Go figure.

Untitled-3

Family Night_0048

Sick, I know, but it is such a kid thing!  Just so you know…we did NOT share these with anybody.  These were just for us.  When we share our food we use our manners.  PROMISE!

Eventually they finished them.

Family Night_0061

They were part of our movie treat.  Along with a mix of whatever was in the pantry.

Untitled-2

I love seeing my kids all bundled up for a movie.  I remember how fun these nights were as a child.  They slept downstairs just like this.

Their faces crack me up.  So serious.  We were watching Hocus Pocus.  It was a fun Halloween flick!

Family Night_0074

Even Ady got into it.  She, however, did not sleep downstairs.  Only because we actually wanted to get some sleep.  This girl can paartaay with the best of them!

Family Night_0087

It was a great weekend. :)

6 comments:

Tam said...

That butterfly pic is awesome! What a fun, easy pet. Glad u had a relaxing weekend ... Much better than the chaos of Halloween!

Colleen said...

love the last few pics!! They look like they had fun with the pretzel ghosts!! We did the movie night too! so cute!

Kari said...

I'm glad you guys are learning how to slow down a bit!

Prudently Painted Vintage said...

Those pretzel ghosts look like lots of fun! What a perfect movie treat!

Brynne said...

Simply awesome :)

Andrea said...

What a fun weekend. I love all the licking and touching, and slobby mess making. AWESOME. Cute kids.

Related Posts with Thumbnails